Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Living Sensationally!


Turns out I'm a Sensory Seeker! No surprise there, given the events of my life.

Last week we completed the Adult Sensory Profile assessment questionnaire by Winnie Dunn. This assessment asks questions on visual, auditory, touch, taste, activity level, and that's all I can think of off the top of my head. The test measures strong patterns of over- or under-responsiveness to stimuli in comparison to the population. Turns out I have a high affinity for taste and activity.

As a sensory seeker my neurological threshold for stimuli is high so I actively seek pleasurable stimuli in taste and activity. So true. I will eat any weird food (while living in Japan I ate the toxic Puffer fish and fish eyes and while in China I ate all kinds of strange things. I loved it!), I love going out to ethnic restaurants and trying to cook different foods. I also DO a lot. I love new experiences that take me out of my comfort zone and I love just trying something new, period. I just love it.

If you have the opportunity I encourage you to read Winnie Dunn's book, Living Sensationally. I'm reading it now (only a few pages a night, it's leisure reading. I'm a student for goodness sake! I have no time to read more :-). In a nutshell the book discusses that we each 'have a sensory profile that drives the way we structure our routine, choose our wardrobes, design our menus, and interact with co-workers, friends, and family members' (this description from from About.com). The four profiles examined are Sensory Avoider, Sensory Seeker (me!), Sensority Bystander and Sensory Sensor (or sensitive).

You can read the book to find out more. I think it is an EXCELLENT introduction to sensory topics.

1 comment:

  1. Kimberly,

    Thank you so much for commenting on our blog! Your blog looks so interesting and it makes me pretty excited about our second year! Thanks again for your advice. I'm going to check out your recommendations soon.

    ReplyDelete