Friday, September 24, 2010

What is occupational therapy?


Occupational Therapy--Skills for the Job of Living:

You'd like to brush your hair if you could only raise your arm if you could just move the muscles so you could get out of bed so you could walk to the mirror like you used to everyday without even thinking about it before you had the stroke.

After a stroke, major surgery or other illness, it can be a long road back. Occupational therapy can make the journey shorter and help to ease the frustration most people feel when they can't do things for themselves. Occupational therapy not only shortens recovery time, it helps people to become more self-sufficient by teaching them new ways to perform job and life tasks despite their physical disabilities. Things like making breakfast, brushing their hair, driving a car and earning a living. Along the way, they gain the confidence to get on with their lives.

--AOTA

(I wish I could say these are my words but this is an AOTA framed photo in one of the classrooms in my school. I love it so much that I thought I'd share it with you)

No comments:

Post a Comment