Tuesday, September 7, 2010

GARY KIELHOFNER DIED!

(This is a random picture I pulled from Google because I didn't want to take a picture from UIC or AOTA. So, AOTA or UIC if you're reading this, I did not infringe upon your sites. Please don't punish me :-)


Dr. Gary Kielhofner died last week.

I forgot to mention this, I apologize. Dr. Kielhofner is an integral part of occupational therapy because he created a well-known, widely used model--The Model of Human Occupation, otherwise known as MOHO. This model actually was the result of Dr. Kielhofner's thesis. How amazing is that?! In a nutshell, the model explains how patterns in occupation are formed, hwo the environment influences occupation and how people are motivated to perform occupations. Anyone can use this model (not just those with disabilities) and it can be used throughout the lifespan. (for a direct link to Kielhofner's MOHO site, click here.) I personally find the model very interesting and have an upcoming project to study it further for my human development course.

Interestingly, one of our textbooks was authored by Kielhofner. We had an occupational therapist and student of his who worked closely with him come to our class to give a lecture on MOHO. He was also the head of the Dept of Occupational Therapy at the University of Illinois-Chicago campus, which is about a 10 minute drive from my house! One of my instructors informed us of his illness last week; she bought a card and we all signed it. Unfortunately, we signed it on a Tuesday and I believe he died the next day.

It's very unfortunate.

No comments:

Post a Comment