Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Occupational therapy on the beach in the Bahamas!





I went on a cruise 2 weeks ago with my classmates and while at the beach we saw this beach wheelchair:

I've never seen such a chair and neither have my clasmates. However, we saw the cruise line staff transporting guests with disabilities from the beach to the boat in these chairs. I thought it was interesting to take a picture of these chairs for two reasons:

1. I've never seen such a chair and I just had to put a picture of it on my blog.

2. How innovative!!! Transporting someone around the beach in a manual or power wheelchair would use a lot of energy. I touched the wheels and they are made of rubber, just like a balloon but thicker and more durable. I pushed the chair and it rolls over the beach sand quite easily, almost as if it were rolling on air. So a chair such as this would decrease the friction from the sand, thus making transport easier.

See! You can find OT everywhere! Even at the beach in the Bahamas!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kimberly, Nice blog! Karen Dobyns fwd me the link to it. You should also blog on AOTA's online community www.OTConnections.org ..check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love the beach wheelchair! It's small things like that that impress me. :)

    Would you mind if I highlighted that in a blog post?
    -Brad (@SPOTonChicago)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb blog post, I have book marked this internet site so ideally I’ll see much more on this subject in the foreseeable future!

    ReplyDelete