Tuesday, February 2, 2010

How to vote for a County official


I voted today. However, this was my first time voting in an election during a non-presidential election year. I'm trying to do better about performing my civic duty. Anyway, because this is my first time I called a friend of mine and asked if there was anything 'extra' I had to do, like find my voter registration card and bring it with me to the polls. My friend works for the incumbent of our County, is naturally interested in keeping his job, and is facebook-ing everyone urging them to vote for the incumbent, however, no one really likes the incumbent.

Friend: Are you going to vote tomorrow?

Me: Yes, I'm definitely voting tomorrow.

Friend: Did you get my FB note about Incumbent X?

Me: Yes, I received it.

Friend: Are you going to vote for him?

Me: I'm not really sure yet. I'm not really pleased with what he has done so far and sometimes it seems like he doesn't know what he's doing. But then again, I've heard some not so good things about Challenger Y, but I'm reluctant to believe the source.

Friend: Well, you should vote for Incumbent X. He's the only one that can balance our County budget.

Me: Ok, I'll think about it. By the way, this is my first time voting in an election like this. Is this different from a presidential election year? Do I need my voter registration card or can I just show up?

Friend: If you're voting for Incumbent X you can just show up, otherwise, you need your voter registration card.

No comments:

Post a Comment