Saturday, August 29, 2009

When in doubt, ASK!

Yesterday, it happened. Some idiot tried to make a joke and GUESS (gasp!) what Occupational Therapists do instead of asking 'Hey, I have no idea what Occupational Therapists do. Can you enlighten me?'

Any OT or aspiring OT will tell you it's bound to happen. We all go through it many, many times. Some fool will give you the look. You know it too well. And you know it's coming. It's actually pretty irritating.

I was out for drinks with an old friend and her friends last night so I didn't know this guy. I guess he thought he was being funny by trying to guess what an OT does instead of just asking. So, for anyone who doesn't know what an Occupational Therapist does read my first post below or JUST ASK. Any OT or aspiring OT would LOVE to tell you what we (will soon) do for a living. It's our greatest pride and joy.

The Idiot: So, Kim. You just quit your job. What are you going to school for?

Me: Master of Occupational Therapy.

The Idiot: Oh! So you're gonna be giving people massages and s***. (grinning widely while the table erupts in laughter)

Me: No, dumba**. Clearly you don't know so just ask what an MOT is.

Honestly, I didn't say that last part but I was thinking it right along with a nice hard kick in the nuts. What I actually said was something polite like 'No, that's not what I'll be doing. A lot of people mistakenly believe that. An Occupational Therapist is a person who....' and I went on to explain it to him. I think he got it but he has a peanut head, perhaps it was too much info to comprehend all at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment